What is Maxalt?
Maxalt is a trade name for Rizatriptan. This molecule belongs to the triptans class of drugs. The medication was patented in 1991 and was introduced as a migraine medicine in 1998. One can buy Maxalt as a generic medicine as well. Please note that the drug is only useful as a migraine treatment. It cannot prevent migraine attacks nor can it reduce the frequency of the attacks. One can buy Maxalt tablets 10mg as regular tablets or as orally disintegrating tablets.
What is it used for?
Maxalt UK is a serotonin (5-HT) 1B/1D receptor agonist. It is used to treat migraine with or without aura in adults and children 6 to 17 years of age. Maxalt is not for the prevention of migraine headache. A 2020 review estimated that this medicine is effective and tolerable than other migraine medicine – Sumatriptan.
How does it work?
The medication acts as an agonist at serotonin 5-HT1B and 5-HT1D receptors. Like the other meds from the triptans class of drugs, Maxalt UK promotes vasoconstriction. It is possible brought out by preventing release of calcitonin gene-related peptide from sensory neurons in the trigeminal nerve.
What are the doses?
Either 5mg or 10mg is the recommended starting dosage for the acute treatment of migraines. A second dosage is administered 2 hours after the first dose if the migraine headache returns. The maximum daily dose should not surpass 30mg in 24 hours.
For children (6 to 17 years)
Dosages for children depend on their body weight. The recommended dosage is 5 mg for children under 40kg of weight and 10mg for those above 40 kg of weight. The second dosage in the time span of 24 hours is not recommended.
What are the side effects?
Users must buy Maxalt after learning its side effects. Not all users get side effects however, it is vital to know about them beforehand. Maxalt UK pills produce mild and severe side effects too. However, the occurrence of severe side effects depends on the strength of dosage taken, beverages used to swallow the pill, other drugs used along with the migraine drug etc.
Mild side effects are:
- Chest pain
- Throat pain
- Pressure in throat or chest
Severe side effects are:
- Severe stomach pain
- Bloody diarrhea
- High blood pressure
- Faster and/or abnormal heartbeat
Call your doctor immediately if you experience any of the severe side effects mentioned above.
What are the precautionary measures to be followed?
- Before you buy Maxalt tablets 10mg, tell your doctor if you have allergic or if you have had develop allergic reactions to the medicine in the past.
- This medicine makes you dizzy or drowsy. Therefore, it is advisable not to drive vehicle or work on heavy machinery after taking the drug.
- Inform your doctor if you have any upcoming surgery before you consume Maxalt UK.
- Discuss your health history with your doctor. Tell your doctor if you have health issues such as high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol levels, and lifestyle issues such as smoking, obesity etc., before you get Maxalt UK.
- Pregnant women must take the drug under strict medical supervision.
- It is not known whether the drug gets into the breast milk and thus, breastfeeding women must take Maxalt UK pills as directed by a doctor.